This simple, hearty dish is a great way to get protein for cheap!
½ cup dry brown lentils
2 ½ cups vegetable broth
1 chopped onion
⅔ cup uncooked brown rice
1 Tbsp olive oil
½ tsp basil leaf
1 bay leaf
¼ tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp dried thyme
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp pepper
1. Chop the onion and sauté with the olive oil for a few minutes until translucent.
2. Add the rice, lentils, broth, bay leaves and other spices. Bring everything to a simmer.
3. Cover and reduce the heat to maintain the simmer.
4. Continue cooking until the rice and lentils are tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
5. Turn off the heat, remove bay leaf, and let stand for a few minutes before serving.