A great protein-rich alternative to traditional bolognese that uses heart-healthy and fiber-rich lentils loaded with antioxidant-packed veggies!
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 cup carrot, finely diced
1 ½ cups dry green lentils
3 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 jar marinara sauce
2 bay leaves
½ cup walnuts
Salt and pepper to taste
Cooked pasta for serving, gluten free if needed
1. Add the Onion and Carrot to a large nonstick pot with a splash of water. Sauté over Medium-High heat until translucent, around 4-5 minutes.
2. Add the Mushrooms, Lentils Vegetable Broth, and Water; stir well and bring to a simmer over high heat.
3. Once simmering, add the bay leaves. Stir and let the whole mixture simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the Lentils are tender. You will need to reduce the heat as you go to prevent splattering, and stir the mixture occasionally to ensure nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan.
4. Add the jar of marinara sauce and let simmer for 2-3 minutes.
5. Stir in the chopped Walnuts, and add Salt and Black Pepper to taste. Serve over cooked pasta, or as desired. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to one week, or frozen for up to one month.